Summertime is a vital time to share information on summer skin care and ways to prevent sunburn and the risk of skin cancer in the summer months. As you work and play in the sunshine, these tips will serve to protect you from the aging and damaging effects of the sun’s rays on your skin.
42% of people acquire sunburn at least once every year. The reddening of your skin is caused by overexposure to the sun’s harmful UV radiation. Sunburn not only looks bad and hurts, but it causes long-term, wrinkle-inducing damage. The resulting damage to your DNA can open the path to skin cancer. And it’s totally preventable.
- Use sunscreen with SPF of 15 or higher every day.
- Apply sunscreen over your entire body half an hour before going out. Reapply every 2 hours.
- Cover up with clothing, a broad-brimmed hat, and sunglasses.
- Find and use shade between the hours of 10 AM and 4 PM.
- Avoid tanning and UV tanning booths.
- DO NOT BURN.
Parents and Young Children
The risk for melanoma, the most serious form of skin cancer, doubles if a person acquires a serious sunburn when he or she is young. Protect your children from the sun’s harm as newborns and through their teen years by following these simple A, B, CS:
- Away from the sun 10 AM to 4 PM
- Block with SPF of 15 or higher
- Cover up with clothing and a hat and sunglasses, even for your little ones
- Speak out and teach others to protect their children and themselves from sun damage
Cloud cover doesn’t protect your skin from the harmful UV radiation of the sun. UV rays also reflect off the surface of sand, snow, water, and even cement. If you feel your skin tingling or see any sign of reddening on yourself or your children, get out of the sun. Apply moisturizing lotion frequently to soothe damaged skin. Drink plenty of hydrating fluids.
Examine Your Own Skin
You are the best authority on your own skin. Examine yourself from head to toes once a month to check for irregularities or changes. Make—and keep—an appointment to see a dermatologist for a professional exam annually.
When you or a loved one needs the latest in cancer treatment technology, comprehensive care and genuine compassion, Sumner Regional Medical Center’s Cancer Center is designed to achieve the highest quality care with you in mind.